Monday, June 19, 2006

something's been bugging me

A couple of weeks ago my pastor gave me a book to read on emerging (he knows I'm hooked). And he did warn me that the author would hold to some ideas about women in church (or lack thereof) that I wouldn't agree with, but that there was still some information worth getting.

So I read the book and at first, I thought, it's okay, I can handle it - I do see some good points. But it has left a really bad taste in my mouth and now I feel the need to rinse & gargle. I've seen the book recommended by other emerging sites and it's gotten pretty good reviews on Amazon, so I was hesitant to review it here, but I've really gotta spit.

Confessions of a Reformission Rev. by Mark Driscoll

some good points
10 curious questions - a good start, some thought provoking questions churches should be asking themselves

"I have learned that sometimes the most important thing a leader can do is create strategic chaos that forces people to pull together and focus on an urgent need..." - pgs. 82-83, change is good

Emerging and Missional Ecclesiology - pgs. 108-109, the church organized without hierarchy

the little thing that bugged me
When he refers to Mars Hill, more often than not, it's possessive - my church

the big thing that bugged me
"the man is the head of the home, that the man should provide for his family, that children are a blessing, and that we would not have so many deceived feminists running around if men were better husbands and fathers because the natural reaction of godly women to godly men is trust and respect" - pgs. 66-67

"I explained to Grace that her primary ministry was to me, our child and the management of our home." - pg. 102

"I will simply lean over the plate and take one for my team that, like Jesus did, only appoints men to the highest position of spiritual leadership." - pg. 110

Mark is not gay
"I can honestly say it was the gayest thing I have ever been part of." - pg. 71, what's that you might ask, painting

no really, he's not gay
"and boy bands that danced and still had the audacity to claim they were heterosexual." - pg. 116, I guess Mark doesn't dance

no, no, no
"These Christian "guys" were so effeminate it was unbelieveable." - pg. 131, from where - a nearby Christian college

If you haven't read the book, well, you've been warned, but if you have already - what were your thoughts? Am I off base?

No comments: