Monday, April 09, 2007

3 more days



Julie @ emerging women asked for easter reflections. I didn't have an easter reflection until I heard Three More Days by Ray Lamontagne today.

Easter came and went and I didn't feel it. Maybe it was the unusually cold weather and the boy searching for Easter eggs in the snow. Maybe it's the Easter bunny, I mean how does he fit into Holy Week? Maybe it was the pms. Maybe it's because I'm stuck on Good Friday. Good Friday? What is up with that name? What kind of greeting card society are we living in?
The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English. Sometimes, too, the day was called Long Friday by the Anglo-Saxons; so today in Denmark. - www.newadvent.org

But I digress. I'm stuck on Friday. I'm still waiting. I know what's been promised, but 3 more days can seem like an eternity. It's like that when you first fall in love with someone and you can't bear to be apart 3 hours let alone 3 days. It's like that when tragedy strikes or when you are waiting for test results or waiting for a call. Three more days could drive you insane. Three more days could convince you that you were imagining things. It could send you spiraling into depression or encourage you to pretend a thing never happened or lead you to discount promises made. Three more days and you could be acting like "it" never happened. I'm going to try not to do that. I'm going to try to wait and study and pray and be a wife & mother and be part of a community and not act like "it" never happened.
Three more days
Girl you know I will be coming home to ya darling
Three more days
Girl you know I will be coming home to ya darling
I know it's wrong to be so far from home
I know it's wrong to leave you so alone
I've just got to getcha this good job done
So I can bring it on home to you
So I can bring it on home to you
- Ray Lamontagne

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. - Matthew 12:40

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." - John 2:19

From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life. - Matthew 16:21

"Sir, we remember what that liar said while he was still alive. He claimed that in three days he would come back from death. So please order the tomb to be carefully guarded for three days." - Matthew 27:63-64

"We had hoped that he would be the one to set Israel free! But it has already been three days since all this happened." - Luke 24:21

No comments: