Tuesday, February 14, 2006

spirit of servanthood & stewardship

I just loved this chapter of McDonald’s, The Discipling Church. So many excellent quotes about the cost of following Jesus:

"We have managed to do something that the early Christians would not have thought possible. We have made Christianity safe, middle-class, comfortable. Even when we acknowledge the words of Jesus, we tame them."

In worship design, we were struggling with metaphors for this message. In our culture, they end up sounding negative instead of positive: give it up, lose your life, be a servant. Why? What’s in it for me?

On the way home from the meeting, I started thinking about what kind of things that we humans are willing to make large sacrifices for. One example has been on TV all week – the Olympics. Athletes willingly offer themselves, their time, and their possessions to be part of an amazing experience that is bigger than they are. You hear stories about sacrifices made, injuries overcome, perseverance in the face of adversity just to be part of the Olympic experience.

So, what will we gain by becoming a disciple and servant? I think we will become part of an experience that is beyond imagining: bigger than us, bigger than the Olympics, bigger than humanity. "God crafted our minds, bodies and emotions to be at their best when we are serving others sacrificially."

I also think that being a disciple and servant is going to require much more than self-discipline, even of the Olympic variety.


Our "behavior" will not be changed long with self-discipline, but fall in love and a human will accomplish what he never thought possible. By accepting God's love for us, we fall in love with Him and only then do we have the fuel we need to obey. - Blue Like Jazz, pg. 86

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been secretly peeping in on your blog but just have to respond today. I do get a different slant on things from what you write. Interesting with this topic that I had just written a piece for our church newsletter, I think what you wrote gets at the core of the "spirit of servanthood and steward" in a more effective way. If I had seen it earlier, I might have borrowed the idea.