Thursday, February 02, 2006

being a disciple

Then Jesus said to all the people: If any of you want to be my followers, you must forget about yourself. You must take up your cross each day and follow me. If you want to save your life, you will destroy it. But if you give up your life for me, you will save it. - Luke 5:1-11

Who is a disciple? A disciple is one who responds in faith and obedience to the gracious call of Jesus Christ. Being a disciple is a lifelong process of dying to self while allowing Jesus Christ to come alive in us. - Greg Ogden, Discipleship Essentials


It seems to me that a disciple is someone who makes following Jesus their top priority every day, every hour, every minute. It also seems kind of impossible. Another adjustment to my thinking about discipleship. It's less about being a disciple and more about becoming a disciple. It's a life-long learning process.

No comments: