Friday, July 09, 2010

loser

My favorite new song is The High Road by Broken Bells, especially the refrain:
it's too late to change your mind;
you let loss, be your guide

At first, it seems like a pretty negative sentiment and being ruled by loss can certainly be a sad fate. I've been thinking about loss a lot lately. My weekend's experience of loss was pretty superficial, but when I thought I had lost the diamond from my engagement ring, I cursed its very existence for making me feel so bad for losing it.

Frankly, I am terrified of loss, but when I read Philippians 3:8 - "More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ..." (NSRV) - it seems that I am to let loss be my guide.  I know loss is inevitable and it started the moment I was born, but I'm still in denial and for some reason prefer living in a state of fear instead of acceptance.

So I've been thinking about things I've lost or will lose or should lose:

childhood is lost to time
virginity to fate
memory betrays me
everything can't wait

the future is not secure
diamonds not forever
jobs will come and health will go
everything will wither

promises are broken
trust can be misplaced
arguments will not prevail
everything's a waste

expectations bind me
disappointments haunt
can I find in this world
everything I want

choices all around me
the high road has a cost
following the Jesus way
everything is lost

No comments: