Saturday, April 11, 2009

stop helping God...

"stop helping God across the road like a little old lady"
- Stand Up Comedy by U2

It's my new favorite U2 lyric. In fact, Stand Up Comedy is my new favorite U2 song followed closely by Breathe (where you will actually find cockatoo in the lyrics;).

I'm one of those people who works best when I'm listening to music, so I've been listening a lot lately to U2's No Line on the Horizon via their U2.com media player.

During this Lenten season I have been experiencing more doubts, distractions and discouragement than ever. This lyric reminds me that God can handle my unbelief, anger, frustration, ambivalence or any other feeble emotion or thought I possess. I don't need to hide it or rationalize it or just get over it to make God feel better.

During the passion reading this week, I heard about a God who became weak in flesh, but remained strong in spirit. And this God does appear to need our help, but it's not going to be a simple walk across the road to safety. When we step up to help, we will journey upon a much more perilous path.

(image: Chris Gollon's 'Stations of the Cross' in St. John on Bethnal Green Church)

No comments: