Tuesday, October 28, 2008

tracking salvations?

Today I received the following from my subscription to LifeChurch.tv which provides lots of free resources for churches to use. Pretty cool most of the time, but I did a double-take with this one.

"Today we’re launching a brand new tool to track trends at your church: ChurchMetrics.com. Built by our Digerati team, this free web app helps you keep tabs on attendance, giving, salvations, and baptisms through easy-to-understand charts and reports."

Wow - did you see that, a handy-dandy online tool to track salvations. Now I'm not familiar with the practice of salvation calls and I don't want to belittle the experience for those who have participated in and been moved by them. But do we really need to be tracking salvations? Can a person, let alone a piece of software really know what is in the heart of another?

Another issue this tool brings up for me is how churches often lose sight of their mission to transform lives in exchange for tracking their programming success. My dream tool for church is one that provides a mechanism for those in need to hook up with those ready to share. This is probably too much to hope for in a piece of software, but I'm certainly amazed by what I see going on online. The possibilities seem endless... (just please, don't track my salvation or lack thereof, I think God's got that one covered)

No comments: