Tuesday, May 09, 2006

who's afraid of the da vinci code?

It seems that at least a few Christians are:
Archbishop Angelo Amato, specifically called for a boycott of the film version of The Da Vinci Code, which will debut later this month; he said the movie is "full of calumnies, offenses, and historical and theological errors." - cwnews.com

Christians Urged to Prepare for The Da Vinci Code Opening: Whether planning protests or equipping themselves with answers, Christians are saying "be prepared" as the countdown continues. - christianpost.com

I checked again and my copy of the book has the words, A Novel, clearly printed on the front cover. So, what is up with all this fear? It can't be good. As Frank Herbert, author of Dune writes:
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I must admit that it is probably my reading of "The DaVinci Code" when it first came out that got me interested in studying about Christianity again. I liked that there might be a sacred feminine element to Christianity that was lost. I wanted to find out more about that and how Jesus interacted with women. I asked my dad (the retired theology professor) about it. His fearless response was to send me a study bible and so, I actually started studying it.

I did find one web resource that seemed to address some Christian concerns in a non-fearful manner @ http://www.challengingdavinci.com.

No comments: